Friday, February 15, 2008

Get out of the studio!

As I said in a prior blog, success in the songwriting business is based on many things but one of the most important things besides writing a hit is networking. You CANNOT succeed in this business without networking. The music business is about who you know. People sometimes get mad because certain songs get played on the radio. Those who get mad often feel the song they wrote is much better than the songs that are on the radio. But those people who were able to get their songs on the radio may know more about networking than the person complaining. Just to show you how networking is working for me, here's just one example.

I met JaWar, author of the Music Industry Connection book series, Cappriccieo Scates, an associate director for SESAC, and Dr. William Ashbourne, a professor at Alabama State University and an entertainment lawyer, at the Atlantis Music Conference in August 2007. I started building a relationship with these three great guys. Since then and through these three individuals, I've met other prominent people in the industry and this is how.

JaWar told me about Tempo Tuesdays at the Atlanta SESAC office so I started regularly attending that event and meeting people. I also purchased JaWar's book, the Atlanta Music Industry Connection book (which I highly recommend) and later read his music industry blogs. From that, I learned about additional networking opportunities, such as music conferences, seminars, showcases, etc. Then I decided to get out the studio more and go to some of these events he'd mentioned. It was through going to these different events that I met people and from continuously going to different events, people in the industry saw (and see) my passion, zeal, and seriousness about my craft. I just recently attended the Southeastern Entertainment Awards (SEA) in Tunica, MS and there I learned about getting songs played on the radio.

After returning home, I contacted Cappriccieo from SESAC and told him about what I learned and how I'd like to learn more about that subject. Tempo Tuesday occurs every second and fourth Tuesday of the month and during this event, Cappriccieo invites different music industry guests to help songwriters learn more about the music business, finances, real estate, whatever he feels would benefit the whole person. So because of our discussion, this time he invited a radio DJ to the next Tempo Tuesday to discuss getting songs played on the radio. Those at Tempo Tuesday that night met an AM radio DJ who is looking for new music. Had I not gotten out of my studio and stopped my songwriting for an hour, I would have never met this radio DJ. I would never know he's looking for music. I would not know the format in which he prefers artists to submit their material to him. I wouldn't know what types of songs he is NOT looking for. I wouldn't know the format of his show or that he changes it up often unless, of course, I listen to his show. He and I also exchanged numbers and he called me the same night. We have been in communication since then. I anticipate that not long from now, my new songs, like one of my other songs which was played on the number #1 gospel radio show in Seattle, WA, will also be on the radio. I've never been to Seattle but that didn't keep my networking efforts on some of my social networking sites from causing someone to take notice and put my music on that station.

These stories aren't to name drop or brag but just to remind artists and songwriters to get out the studio sometimes and just meet people. In fact, nowadays, you can network from the comfort of your home thanks to the Internet and social networking sites. Looking for some sites? I have a few social networking sites that you can join and meet some of the people I've met so join me at myspace.com/hitsamillionllc and hitsamillion.ning.com. Bottom line: network, network, network! You'll never know what may transpire from just meeting a few people!

Thedy B, Attorney/Songwriter,
Hits A Million, LLC
myspace.com/hitsamillionllc
hitsamillion.ning.com
thedyb.magnify.net