Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Creative Ideas for Songs - Part 3

In my prior blogs on creative ideas for songs, I talked about how to capture your ideas when they come and how to be opened to getting creative ideas for songs from anyone or anywhere. I even provided my own video on how I was inspired to write, Cops 'n Robbers. But how can you strategically, i.e. intentionally come up with creative ideas for songs? Here's a couple of places where you can start looking for themes, concepts and titles for songs:

1. Newspaper or magazine articles - great source for themes and titles.

2. Social/political events - great source to express your feelings and emotions about what you see, hear, and feel in the world. Hip Hop initially started as a means of expressing political and social injustice.

3. Current events - great source for new things to sing about.

4. Films/TV sitcoms - great source for concepts and themes.

5. Books - great source for titles.

6. Conversations - people say the funniest things sometimes. Capture those conversations in a song. Or listen for a story that you want to tell in a song.

7. Your own life - believe it or not, your life is full of songs. Think of things you always wanted to say to someone, or feelings and emotions that you wanted to express.

8. Other songs - I listen to songs that I love or WISH I had written to inspire me to write better.

9. Other people - if none of the above things inspire you, then it's time to collaborate and get ideas from other people.

Happy creative writing!

Thedy B, Attorney/Songwriter
Hits A Million, LLC
http://www.myspace.com/hitsamillionllc
http://www.hitsamillion.ning.com/
http://thedyb.magnify.net/