Thursday, March 27, 2008

Network Anyway!

Network is just that: work! I don't know why folks think that the music business is not a J.O.B. You must work at your craft! Work at branding! Work at promotions! Work at publishing! Work at networking.

And you may HATE meeting new people. You may hate making small talk. Hate seeing and meeting fake people. HATE going to clubs. Hate paying money to go to industry events. Hate to travel. Hate the high price of gas that it will take you to get to where you are going.

You may be tired of going to event after event. You may be disappointed that you keep meeting the same old people! You may hate getting dressed up to go to networking events. You may hate being given the runaround. Hate that your phone calls and emails aren't being returned. Hate that you aren't being taken seriously

(see my previous blogs on the do's and don'ts of networking which may help with these problems)

You may be asking yourself and others, "When is my big break going to come?" "When am I going to "get on?" "When am I going to stop singing/rapping to other artists?" "When are the big boys with the checks going to see me, hear me, like me, and sign me?" You may hate a lot of things about networking but the bottom line is this: you must network and build relationships in the music business! As I said in my prior posts, success in the music business is 1/3 networking and building relationships. So network anyway!

Some things happen when we least expect them to. And because of that and because this business is unpredictable: you really can't afford to not network. You may get tired of the grind sometimes. But keep on grinding, mashing, pushing forward, seeking, expecting, anticipating, and loving what you do. Love what you do, regardless of its ups and downs, its advantages and disadvantages, its rights and its wrongs! This is the music business, not music heaven! In any business, there are things you will like and don't like. I'm sure artists don't like getting up at 4:30 or 5:30 in the morning to be on a flight somewhere or be at a morning TV show, but they grind it out. So keep grinding!

Don't give up now! Who knows, your big break may be just one person away! So network, network, network!

Thedy B