Monday, June 30, 2008

Save yourself some money: Get out the Game!!!!!!

** to see my latest post, you may have to refresh your browser or subscribe to this blog! *****

Okay, I'm always attempting to be inspirational in this blog as well as help people learn the business side and the craft side of this business. On here, I'm always trying to inspire people to stay in the music business and to see their goals come to fruition. For all those who are really grinding it out, really about your business, really wanting to make your mark in the music industry, and are ready and willing to do business, but just need that extra boost, please check out all of my inspirational/encouragement posts if you need encouragement. They will surely motivate you to continue.

I've also attempted to provide some money-saving tips for those who are struggling independent artists. I've done some blogs helping you to not spend your money on things or people only to find out you didn't need what or who you spent your hard earned money on or that you needed something better. So please read the blogs on saving money.

But over the next week, I'm about to encourage some folks to save their money and leave this game, we call the music business because play time is over!!!!!! Play time IS over! Play time is OVER! Save your money and get out the game! This is the music BUSINESS, people!!!!!!! What? Did you think it was going to be easy?! That you were just going to breeze into it? That you don't have to put in the time, the money, the effort, the lack of sleep, the lack of freedom to do what you want when you want, to lose some friendships after seeing folks don't have your back or aren't as serious? That you weren't going to have to give up something to get something in return? That all you have to do is create music and that's it?!!!!!!

Play with YOUR time, play with YOUR own money, play with your keyboard, your MPC, your vocal chords, your creativity, or whatever is your choice of toy! But people who want to be in this business know that it's a business like any other business!

And trust me: some people know and understand it's a business. A billion dollar industry!

Check this out from this article I saw:


In North America, the music business will total $26.5 billion in 2011, growing at an average annual rate of 2.8% from $23.1 billion in 2006. Recorded music revenues will remain flat as declining CD sales cancel out the sharp gains in digital sales. Music publishing and live music will grow.

In one dramatic example, live tours were once used as marketing vehicles to promote recordings, but today that model is being flipped on its head as increasing numbers of top-tier and mid-level acts earn more income from concerts than from CD sales.

Every major category of the live music industry has been growing and is poised for continued expansion, including ticket sales, merchandise sales, ancillary venue revenue and tour and special-event related sponsorships.

Read the full article here.

Did you see all the people and businesses who've set themselves up to profit off of your music? That's why I've been blogging about the music industry, about the mobile music industry, the global music industry, about new record labels, and putting up videos on this blog about the gaming industry, commercials, jingles, etc. because I want people to see all the opportunities to make money in this business! My question to you is: are YOU in a position to capitalize on this billion dollar industry or is music still a hobby to you?

Let me repeat that: Is music a hobby to you?

I'll help you answer that question in my next post so keep reading!

Sorry for the tone of this post but this is even a message I'm taking to heart myself, Thedy B. And, I don't know about you hitsamillion.blogspot.com readers, interviewed.blogspot.com readers, but I'm making music my career, not a hobby. I hope you are too!

Thedy B, Attorney/Songwriter
Hits A Million, LLC
hitsamillion.blogspot.com